Archive | WebRTC | RTCweb RSS for this section

Bernard Aboba joins W3C WebRTC WG as Editor

w3c

W3C WebRTC working group chairs [Harald Alvestrand (Google), Stefan Håkansson (Ericsson), Erik Lagerway (Hookflash)], made a decision recently to add a new editor to the working group, as Peter St. Andre (&yet) has resigned as editor.

Bernard Aboba (Microsoft) has now been appointed as editor.

Bernard’s attention to detail and advocacy for transparency, fairness and community has been refreshing. It has been my pleasure (as chair of the W3C ORTC CG) to work with Bernard whom also is an author in the W3C ORTC CG alongside Justin Uberti and Robin Raymond (editor). I look forward to working more with him in the WG.

Congrats Bernard!

/Erik

New WebRTC WG Charter

w3c

The new charter for the WebRTC Working Group has been approved. Current members will need to re-join, from the WebRTC WG mail list…

Hi all,

Great news, the new W3C WebRTC Working Group charter [1] has been officially approved by the W3C Director [2].

The revised charter adds a deliverable for the next version of WebRTC, has an updated list of deliverables based on the work started under the previous charter, clarifies its decision policy, and extends the group
until March 2018.

The charter of this Working Group includes a new deliverable that require W3C Patent Policy licensing commitments from all Participants.

Consequently, all Participants must join or re-join the group, which involves agreeing to participate under the terms of the revised charter and the W3C Patent Policy. Current Participants may continue to attend meetings (teleconferences and face-to-face meetings) for 45 days after this announcement, even if they have not yet re-joined the group. After 45 days (ie. September 10, 2015), ongoing participation (including meeting attendance and voting) is only permitted for those who have re-joined the group.

Use this form to (re)join:
https://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/47318/join

Instructions to join the group are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/47318/instructions

Thanks,
Vivien on behalf of the WebRTC WG Chairs and Staff contacts

[1] http://www.w3.org/2015/07/webrtc-charter.html
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2015JulSep/0024.html

My First @W3C #WebRTC Editor’s Call

w3c

As newly appointed co-chair in the W3C WebRTC WG, I just participated in my first Editor’s Call, and I’m impressed.

We had to address nearly dozens of Pull Requests and Issues on the associated github repos. We managed to knock down quite a few that ended up getting merged and a few that were closed today, despite not having 1 co-chair and 1 editor present.

There were some suggestions on how we could make the processes a bit more effective, allowing everyone to understand more what’s expected of them. It’s going to take a few meetings I suspect to get a real feel for how I can be adding the most value possible.

Overall, it feels like we are all trying our best to do what the new charter has set out, to get 1.0 done before getting on with the next chapter. I am excited to be part of it and look forward to continue helping!

If you have any thoughts on how the WebRTC Working Group could be doing things differently to be more effective and efficient, I would like to hear your thoughts.

W3C ORTC CG – Editors Draft Update

Big thanks to everyone (especially Bernard) for putting in the extra work required here for our next CG meeting:

Draft Community Group Report 22 June 2015

 

B.1 Changes since 7 May 2015
  1. Addressed Philipp Hancke’s review comments, as noted in: Issue 198
  2. Added the “failed” state to RTCIceTransportState, as noted in: Issue 199
  3. Added text relating to handling of incoming media packets prior to remote fingerprint verification, as noted in: Issue 200
  4. Added a complete attribute to the RTCIceCandidateComplete dictionary, as noted in:Issue 207
  5. Updated the description of RTCIceGatherer.close() and the “closed” state, as noted in: Issue 208
  6. Updated Statistics API error handling to reflect proposed changes to the WebRTC 1.0 API, as noted in: Issue 214
  7. Updated Section 10 (RTCDtmfSender) to reflect changes in the WebRTC 1.0 API, as noted in: Issue 215
  8. Clarified state transitions due to consent failure, as noted in: Issue 216
  9. Added a reference to [FEC], as noted in: Issue 217

Changes in the W3C WebRTC Working Group

w3c

With the forthcoming re-charter @W3C WebRTC Working Group, there were also a few managerial changes:

  • Peter Saint Andre (@andyet fame), will be joining as co-editor
  • Erik Lagerway, yours truly (co-founder @hookflash), will be joining as co-chair
  • Vivien Lacourba, W3C staff, will be helping out Dominique Hazael-Massieux with increased W3C staff time in the WebRTC Working Group

I am personally flattered and over the moon excited to have been asked to co-chair the WebRTC Working Group and look forward to working with Harald and Stefan to help usher in the next era of WebRTC standards work.

/Erik

ORTC Lib – mini update #webrtc

It’s been about a year since we uploaded the ORTC Lib presentation on slideshare …

We have been rather busy since then…

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 1.39.20 PM

Good things are coming! 🙂

Vancouver WebRTC – Meetup 2 @PlentyofFish

With more than 40 members and growing, Vancouver WebRTC now has a new venue! Chris Simpson from PoF rallied to get us into their new presentation lounge, the “Aquarium”, thanks Chris!

IMG_4459-1 IMG_4456-1IMG_4458-1

Our next event is on June 25th from 6-8pm and we have a great evening planned with Omnistream and Perch presenting!

Come check it out!

W3C ORCT CG Meeting 9 – June 24, 10am PDT

We are holding our ninth CG meeting on the 24th of June…

https://www.w3.org/community/ortc/

Where: Online (TBD)

When: June 24, 2015 10am PDT

Agenda

Review action items from last meeting:

– RTCIceCandidateComplete dictionary
https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues/207

– RTCIceGatherer.close affect on RTCIceTransport / RTCDtlsTransport
https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues/208

– Comments added to #200
Incoming media prior to Remote Fingerprint Verification
https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues/200

– Comments added to #170, Peter to send fuller proposal to list
Response to connectivity checks prior to calling iceTransport.start()?
https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues/170#issuecomment-105629219

– Original #188 – Priority Calculation, new bug #209
Trying to remove RTCIceTransport.createAssociatedTransport(component)
https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues/209

– Philipp Hancke’s Review Comments
https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues/198

Review open issues: https://github.com/openpeer/ortc/issues?q=is%3Aopen

Review current draft: http://ortc.org (upper right hand side)

Review implementation progress: ORTC Lib, MS Edge, Google ?

Review ORTC CG alignment with WebRTC WG and 1.0 spec.

Questions, comments?

Plan next meeting.

WebRTC Update from Justin Uberti, WebTorrent talk by Feross Aboukhadijeh & John Hiesey

Fresh out of Google IO, Justin Uberti provides a WebRTC update via WebRTC Meetup in SFO at the Twilio HQ. Slides and demos are not visible, I am attempting to get a copy of the slides. UPDATE: Most of the slides were captured via photos.

Justin talking points:
– Renewed focus on mobile
– HD bitrates and bandwidth estimation
– Goal H.264 coming to Chrome 45 via Cisco’s OpenH264 (whoa!)
– VP9 & hardware support
– Demo on Nexus 6 using VP9 and hardware encoder

What’s coming next..
– Mobile performance
– Complete call setup should be 500ms
– Encryption (we don’t hold the keys)
– ECDSA coming soon!
– HW encode on android capable of 1080p
– New Echo Cancellation via DAEC (Delay Agnostic Echo Canceller)
– Mobile Networks
– Network Handoff
– Scaling Quality
– Better performance on lossy networks
New domain for “WebRTC and Web Audio resources”
Appr.tc
g.co/webrtc

Q&A

Q What’s the story on spec deviation?
A We want to make sure we add promises to the spec.

Q Get Stats?
A Working on it

Q Unified plan support
A Organizationally challenged and taking back seat to encoding performance and other “on fire” must fix immediately

Q What is going to evolve in screen sharing in spec and Chrome?
A Things work “ok” for screen sharing but not great for some things like scrolling, people are also interested in using in tabs versus window. Screen refresh is not as fast as we would like but we think we have fixed that.

Q Changing framerate and resolution mid-call?
A RTPSender gives you some of these knobs (Note: Object from ORTC Spec!), which is on its way.

Q Battery life for hw encoded apps?
A 3 categories, voice only, video on sw, video on hw. Video demo was on hw at 1080p at 30% of CPU. HW video will compete with a baseband voice call on wifi.

Feross Aboukhadijeh & John Hiesey (creators of PeerCDN

Talking points:

https://github.com/feross/webtorrent
– Using WebRTC DataChannel to stream content
– Demo: can’t see the screen
– Hosting websites in Browsers via WebTorrent
– NAT traversal via regular STUN / TURN

Q&A

Q Justin asks, what will it take to have this work with existing bittorrent clients
A They need to add WebRTC, then it will work

Vancouver WebRTC – Inaugural Meetup Tonight!

Join us this eve at Launch Academy for the very first Vancouver WebRTC meetup!

This inaugural meetup should be a real fun event! I will be providing an introduction to WebRTC and Tobias Noiges (QHR Technologies) will be walking us through the creation of Medeo, a medical virtual visit application based on WebRTC.

Join us and learn about WebRTC and how it’s forever changing communications on the web!

 

Meeting info:

Location: Launch Academy #300 – 128 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC

Date and Time: Wednesday May 27, 2015 6-8pm

Buzz in Code: #300 or DM @elagerway on twitter

 

Agenda:

– Welcome!

– WebRTC Introduction; Erik Lagerway, Hookflash

– WebRTC in the real world; Tobias Noiges, QHR Technologies

– WebRTC Demo; Tobias Noiges

– Q&A

 

Hope to see you there!

/Erik Lagerway

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: