WebRTC Update from Justin Uberti, WebTorrent talk by Feross Aboukhadijeh & John Hiesey
Fresh out of Google IO, Justin Uberti provides a WebRTC update via WebRTC Meetup in SFO at the Twilio HQ. Slides and demos are not visible, I am attempting to get a copy of the slides. UPDATE: Most of the slides were captured via photos.
Justin talking points:
– Renewed focus on mobile
– HD bitrates and bandwidth estimation
– Goal H.264 coming to Chrome 45 via Cisco’s OpenH264 (whoa!)
– VP9 & hardware support
– Demo on Nexus 6 using VP9 and hardware encoder
What’s coming next..
– Mobile performance
– Complete call setup should be 500ms
– Encryption (we don’t hold the keys)
– ECDSA coming soon!
– HW encode on android capable of 1080p
– New Echo Cancellation via DAEC (Delay Agnostic Echo Canceller)
– Mobile Networks
– Network Handoff
– Scaling Quality
– Better performance on lossy networks
New domain for “WebRTC and Web Audio resources”
Q What’s the story on spec deviation?
A We want to make sure we add promises to the spec.
Q Get Stats?
A Working on it
Q Unified plan support
A Organizationally challenged and taking back seat to encoding performance and other “on fire” must fix immediately
Q What is going to evolve in screen sharing in spec and Chrome?
A Things work “ok” for screen sharing but not great for some things like scrolling, people are also interested in using in tabs versus window. Screen refresh is not as fast as we would like but we think we have fixed that.
Q Changing framerate and resolution mid-call?
A RTPSender gives you some of these knobs (Note: Object from ORTC Spec!), which is on its way.
Q Battery life for hw encoded apps?
A 3 categories, voice only, video on sw, video on hw. Video demo was on hw at 1080p at 30% of CPU. HW video will compete with a baseband voice call on wifi.
Feross Aboukhadijeh & John Hiesey (creators of PeerCDN
– Using WebRTC DataChannel to stream content
– Demo: can’t see the screen
– Hosting websites in Browsers via WebTorrent
– NAT traversal via regular STUN / TURN
Q Justin asks, what will it take to have this work with existing bittorrent clients
A They need to add WebRTC, then it will work
2 responses to “WebRTC Update from Justin Uberti, WebTorrent talk by Feross Aboukhadijeh & John Hiesey”
Trackbacks / Pingbacks
- June 8, 2015 -
Most of the slides were captured via photos: http://www.meetup.com/SF-WebRTC/photos/26154561/#438005158